Federal Register: November 18, 1999 (Volume 64, Number 222)Rules and RegulationsPage 62977-62978From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
37 CFR Part 202
Docket No.: RM-99-6Copyright Rules and Regulations
AGENCY: Copyright Office, Library of Congress.
ACTION: Technical amendment.
SUMMARY: The definition of what is the best edition of a published work is found in 37 CFR 202.19(b)(1)(i). The Copyright Office is amending its regulations to clarify where the public may find a statement on the best edition of published copyrighted works for the collections of the Library of Congress. The statement, which contains the criteria for selection of what constitutes the ``best edition'' of a published work, is located in appendix B of 37 CFR part 202.
EFFECTIVE DATE: November 18, 1999.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: David O. Carson, General Counsel, or Marilyn J. Kretsinger, Assistant General Counsel, Copyright GC/I&R, PO Box 70400, Southwest Station, Washington, DC 20024. Telephone: (202) 707-8380. Fax: (202) 707-8366.
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Section 407 of the copyright statute requires that the best edition of a published work must be deposited with a copyright registration application so that the Library of Congress may consider whether to select a work for its collections or for other suitable purposes. See 37 CFR 202.19. The Copyright Office is now amending its regulation concerning what constitutes
[Page 62978]the ``best edition'' of a published work for registration purposes. This amendment merely clarifies that the criteria for selection of the ``best edition'' of published copies or phonorecords is located in appendix B title 37 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Information about ``best edition'' copies or phonorecords is also located in the Office's Circular 7b.
List of Subjects in 37 CFR Part 202
Copyright, Registration of claims to copyright.
For the reasons stated above, 37 CFR part 202 is amended as follows:
PART 202--REGISTRATION OF CLAIMS TO COPYRIGHT
1. The authority citation for part 202 continues to read as follows:
Authority: 17 U.S.C. 702.
Sec. 202.19 [Amended]
2. Section 202.19 is amended by adding at the end of paragraph (b)(1)(i) a new sentence to read as follows: * * * * *
(b) * * *
(l) * * *
(i) * * * The ``best edition'' requirement is described in detail at Appendix B to this part. * * * * *
3. Section 202.19(b)(1)(ii) is amended by removing ``Copies of the Best Edition Statement are available upon request made to the Copyright Acquisitions Division.'' .
Dated: November 10, 1999. Marybeth Peters, Register of Copyrights.
FR Doc. 99-29877Filed11-17-99; 8:45 amBILLING CODE 1410-30-P
This document cites
- U.S. Code - Title 17: Copyrights - 17 USC 702 - Sec. 702. Copyright Office regulations
- Code of Federal Regulations - Title 37: Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights - 37 CFR 202.19 - Deposit of published copies or phonorecords for the Library of Congress.
See other documents that cite the same legislation