Federal Register › Surface Transportation Board
Academy Bus, LLC and Franmar Leasing LLC-Purchase of Certain Assets of Daniel's Charters & Tours LLC
On January 23, 2018, Academy Bus LLC (Academy), a motor carrier of passengers; Franmar Leasing LLC (Franmar), a non-carrier; and Daniel's Charters & Tours LLC (Daniel's Charters), a motor carrier of passengers (collectively, Applicants) jointly filed an application for Academy and Franmar to acquire certain properties of Daniel's Charters. The Board is tentatively approving and authorizing...
Railroad Cost Recovery Procedures-Productivity Adjustment
In a decision served on February 8, 2018, the Board proposed to adopt 0.996 (-0.4% per year) as the measure of average (geometric mean) change in railroad productivity for the 2012-2016 (five-year) period. This represents an increase of 0.3% from the average for the 2011-2015 period. The Board's February 8, 2018 decision in this proceeding stated that comments may be filed addressing any...
Railroad Cost of Capital-2017
The Board is instituting a proceeding to determine the railroad industry's cost of capital for 2017. The decision solicits comments on the following issues: The railroads' 2017 current cost of debt capital; the railroads' 2017 current cost of preferred equity capital (if any); the railroads' 2017 cost of common equity capital; and the 2017 capital structure mix of the railroad industry on a...
Railroad Cost Recovery Procedures-Productivity Adjustment
In a decision served on January 29, 2018, the Surface Transportation Board adopted as final its calculation of the productivity adjustment, with the linking factor for the year 2015, proposed in its September 29, 2017 decision in the same docket. See R.R. Cost Recovery Procedures--Productivity Adjustment, EP 290 (Sub-No. 4), slip op. at 4 (STB served Sept. 29, 2017). The productivity change for 20
- Soo Line Railroad Company-Trackage Rights Exemption-BNSF Railway Company
Semiannual Regulatory Agenda
The Surface Transportation Board is publishing the Acting Chairman's agenda of rulemaking actions pursuant to the Regulatory Flexibility Act (RFA) (Pub. L. 96-354, 94 Stat. 1164) (Sep. 19, 1980). The items listed in the Regulatory Flexibility Agenda for fall 2017 reflect the priorities of the Acting Chairman of the Surface Transportation Board and do not necessarily reflect the priorities of any...
- Elkhart & Western Railroad Co.-Acquisition and Operation Exemption-Line of CSX Transportation, Inc. Between Monon and Monticello, in White County, Ind.
- CSX Transportation, Inc.-Abandonment Exemption-in Fulton County, GA
Civil Monetary Penalties-2018 Adjustment
The Surface Transportation Board (Board) is issuing a final rule to implement the annual inflationary adjustment to its civil monetary penalties, pursuant to the Federal Civil Penalties Inflation Adjustment Act Improvements Act of 2015.
- CSX Transportation, Inc.-Abandonment Exemption-in Clark, Floyd, Lawrence, Orange, & Washington Counties, Ind.
- Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad Company-Lease Exemption Containing Interchange Commitment-Wisconsin Central Ltd.
- Great Lakes Terminal Railroad, LLC-Lease and Operation Exemption-Rail Line of Great Lakes Reloading, LLC
- Revisions to Arbitration Procedures
Notice of Railroad-Shipper Transportation Advisory Council Vacancies
The Board hereby gives notice of vacancies on RSTAC for two small shipper representatives, one large shipper representative, two small railroad representatives, and two large railroad representatives. The Board seeks suggestions for candidates to fill these vacancies.
- New Orleans Public Belt Railroad Corporation-Acquisition and Operation Exemption-Public Belt Railroad Commission of the City of New Orleans
Quarterly Rail Cost Adjustment Factor
The Board has approved the first quarter 2018 Rail Cost Adjustment Factor (RCAF) and cost index filed by the Association of American Railroads. A new base level for the index is calculated in the Board's decision, as the statute requires be done every five years. The first quarter 2018 RCAF (Unadjusted) is 1.027. The first quarter 2018 RCAF (Adjusted) is 0.422. The first quarter 2018 RCAF-5 is 0.4
- The Indiana Rail Road Company-Temporary Trackage Rights Exemption-CSX Transportation, Inc.
- CSX Transportation, Inc.-Abandonment Exemption-in Greenbrier County, W. Va.
- ABE Fairmont, LLC-Abandonment Exemption-in Fillmore County, Neb.; BNSF Railway Company-Discontinuance of Service Exemption-in Fillmore County, Neb.
- City and County of Denver-Acquisition Exemption-Western Stock Show Association in the City and County of Denver, CO
- Release of Waybill Data
- Vicksburg Southern Railroad, L.L.C.-Lease and Operation Exemption-Kansas City Southern Railway Company
- Old Augusta Railroad, LLC-Acquisition and Operation Exemption-KM Railways, LLC
Expediting Rate Cases
Pursuant to section 11 of the Surface Transportation Board Reauthorization Act of 2015 (STB Reauthorization Act), the Surface Transportation Board (Board) is modifying rules pertaining to its rate case procedures.
- Norfolk Southern Railway Company-Abandonment Exemption-in Aurora, Portage County, Ohio; Cleveland Commercial Railroad Company, LLC-Discontinuance of Lease and Operation Authority-in Aurora, Portage County, Ohio
- Chesapeake and Indiana Railroad Company-Discontinuance of Service Exemption-in Starke County, Indiana
- Alloy Property Company, LLC-Adverse Abandonment-Chicago Terminal Railroad in Chicago, Ill.
- CSX Transportation, Inc.-Discontinuance of Service Exemption-in Dickenson County, VA
- Wisconsin Central Ltd.-Discontinuance of Service Exemption-in Oneida and Marinette Counties, Wis.
Release of Waybill Data
The Surface Transportation Board (STB) published a document in the Federal Register on October 30, 2017, concerning a request from Thompson Hine LLP, on behalf of itself, Economists, and L.E. Peabody & Associates (WB17-44--10/20/17) for permission to use certain unmasked data from the Board's 2006-2016 Carload Waybill Samples. STB is correcting the deadline objections to the request are due.