Agency information collection activities: Proposed collection; comment request,
[Federal Register: September 4, 2002 (Volume 67, Number 171)]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
Immigration and Naturalization Service
Agency Information Collection Activities: Comment Request
ACTION: 60-day notice of information collection under review; monthly report naturalization papers; Form N4
The Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for sixty days until November 4, 2002.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Monthly Report Naturalization Papers.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form N4. Adjudications Division, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Federal Government. This form is used by the clerk of courts that administer the oath of allegiance for naturalization to notify the Immigration and Naturalization Service of all persons to whom the oath was administered.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 1,920 responses at 30 minutes per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 960 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection
instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan 2025143291, Director, Regulations and Forms Services Division, Immigration and Naturalization Service, U.S. Department of Justice, Room 4034, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Patrick Henry Building, 601 D Street, NW., Suite 1600, Washington, DC 20530.
Dated: August 28, 2002. Richard A. Sloan, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
[FR Doc. 02-22532Filed9302; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 441010M