Agency information collection activities: Submission for OMB review; comment request,
[Federal Register: December 4, 2001 (Volume 66, Number 233)]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
Immigration and Naturalization Service
Agency Information Collection Activities: Proposed Collection; Comment Request
Action: Notice of information collection under review; certification by designated school official.
The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval is being sought for the information collection listed below. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register on July 27, 2001 at 66 FR 39205, allowing for a 60-day public comment period. No comments were received by the Immigration and Naturalization Service during that period. The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comments. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until January 3, 2002. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR part 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Department of Justice Desk Officer, 725--17th Street, NW., Suite 10235, Washington, DC 20503; 202-395-7316. Comments may also be submitted to the Department of Justice (DOJ), Justice Management Division, Information Management and Security Staff, Attention: Robert B. Briggs, Department Clearance Officer, Patrick Henry Building, 601 D Street, NW., Suite 1600, Washington, DC 20530. Comments may also be submitted to DOJ via facsimile to 202-514-1534.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the
use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Revision of currently approved information collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Certification by Designated School Official.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form I-538. Adjudications Division, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary Individuals or Households. This form is used to collect information from nonimmigrant students applying for an extension for the length of time of their legal status in the United States as a nonimmigrant student while transferring from one school to another and permission to accept or continue employment.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 165,000 responses at 4 minutes (.066) per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 10,890 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Mr. Richard A. Sloan, 202-514- 3291, Director, Policy Directives and Instructions Branch, Immigration and Naturalization Service, U.S. Department of Justice, Room 4304, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 850, Washington Center, 1001 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20530.
Dated: November 29, 2001. Richard A. Sloan, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
[FR Doc. 01-30014Filed12-3-01; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M